Skylark-Torch

I'm new. Could I get 'learned?

Question

Yep. I'm a coding noob.

I'm very much into computers though, and I'd like to know what steps I can take to become at least familiar with coding.

If anyone would step-up to be my 'guide' to coding, I'm not asking you to all-out tutor me (Unless you're willing!)

I'd just like someone who already knows what he is doing to lead me to the proper ways to begin. If you wouldn't mind...?

I have notepad++ and some eagerness.

And I'm willing to accept some argument about which language I should step into first.

-Skylark

Hey man I'd recommend you to use books to learn programming, because books keep you more concentrated and they are more likely to give you assignments to make something. And the best way of learning is practice!

What are you looking to learn, If you are only just starting up, you will need to learn HTML & CSS, to get the very basic steps learnt, then either c# or php after that if you feel you want to go deeper.

Let me know and i can help you through the coding languages.

This is neat! I haven't hit any roadblocks yet, but

<p><a>href="http://codecademy.com" www.codecademy.com</p></a>

codecademy.com is really great so far!

(Oh, so your 'code' button is for showing off codes. Neat!)

-Skylark

but your code should be :

<p><a href="http://www.codecademy.com">www.codecademy.com</a></p>

That would then render correctly for a HyperLink

Otherwise your closing your paragraph off before finishing the code inside, also the <a> tag hadnt been closed before setting the text for the hyperlink, hope that helps.

but your code should be :

<p><a href="http://www.codecademy.com">www.codecademy.com</a></p>

That would then render correctly for a HyperLink

Otherwise your closing your paragraph off before finishing the code inside, also the <a> tag hadnt been closed before setting the text for the hyperlink, hope that helps.

Oh, thanks for noticing my error!

I don't know a lot of HTML. I learned some of it about 11 years ago, but forgot some of it.

It's pretty easy, and a lot of it is self explanatory.

I learned the basics, then got a feel for tables.

I'm actually going to be going to university for C# this year.

Very cool!

I've considered going to school for coding, but I think my career would be something different, coding being a hobby.

Your be suprised, im Ex-Military (still possibly going back in for further work) and i still Code ALOT!

HTML and CSS are very intuitive and easy to learn. If you can get a hold of Dreamweaver, it's fun to play around with it's pre-generated templates, and modify them to see what effect it has on the layout. Sites like alistapart,com have tons of short tutorials.

HTML and CSS are very intuitive and easy to learn. If you can get a hold of Dreamweaver, it's fun to play around with it's pre-generated templates, and modify them to see what effect it has on the layout. Sites like alistapart,com have tons of short tutorials.

Oh, thanks!

So I've been working off and on in Codecademy. Here is one of my recent side-projects.

<html>
<!--I like keeping the big tags tabbed in twice. It helps me remember where stuff is sometimes.-->
       <header>
<title>Travian Help Sheet</title>
       <header>
       <body>
<h1 align="center" title="What is a Paladin?"><a href="http://t4.answers.travian.com/index.php?view=answers&action=answer&aid=166#go2answer" style="color:black">Paladins</a></h1>

<table border="1px"align="center">
<thead>
<th colspan="5"style="color:#00A600">Paladins</th>
</thead>

<tr><td>10</td><td>3700</td><td>2700</td><td>2900</td><td>750</td></tr>
<tr><td>9</td><td>3330</td><td>2430</td><td>2610</td><td>675</td></tr>
<tr><td>8</td><td>2960</td><td>2160</td><td>2320</td><td>600</td></tr>
<tr><td>7</td><td>2590</td><td>1890</td><td>2030</td><td>525</td></tr>
<tr><td>6</td><td>2220</td><td>1620</td><td>1740</td><td>450</td></tr>
<tr><td>5</td><td>1850</td><td>1350</td><td>1450</td><td>375</td></tr>
<tr><td>4</td><td>1480</td><td>1080</td><td>1160</td><td>300</td></tr>
<tr><td>3</td><td>1110</td><td>810</td><td>870</td><td>225</td></tr>
<tr><td>2</td><td>740</td><td>540</td><td>580</td><td>150</td></tr>
<tr><td>1</td><td>370</td><td>270</td><td>290</td><td>75</td></tr>
<tr><th>#</th><th style="color:#B85C00">Lumber</th><th style="color:#FFA319">Clay</th><th style="color:#7575A3">Iron</th><th style="color:#D6D673">Crop</th></tr>
   </table><br/>
<p align="center">"What is this list?" You may be wondering.</p>
<p align="center">
This is a list of the resources needed to construct Paladins in Travian.<br/>
I stacked the numbers up to 10. #1 being how many are needed to train<br/>
one unit, #2 being how many is needed to train two, and so on.</p>
<br/>
<!--As usual, my signature -->
<p align="center">-Skylark</p>
       </body>
       </html>

What do you coding masters think?

-Skylark

Its a good start, try implementing CSS either inline or on a style sheet so for example for Inline you could do:

<p style="text-align:center;">-Skylark</p>

instead of your original.

But it would be best to do it all in a style sheet then place classes onto each aspect of your work.

Its a good start, try implementing CSS either inline or on a style sheet so for example for Inline you could do:

<p style="text-align:center;">-Skylark</p>

instead of your original.

But it would be best to do it all in a style sheet then place classes onto each aspect of your work.

Oh thanks for pointing that out! I seem to remember learning about that, but when I coded the list I got confused between CSS and the original style I had learned.

teehee. I need to learn more CSS it seems. Most of HTML is clicking right in too, I'm only doing it for about an hour or two out of a few random days. It's too easy! lol

Though, it seems very time consuming. I probably need to take a typing class so I can improve my speeds while not looking at the keys :P

-Skylark

Oh thanks for pointing that out! I seem to remember learning about that, but when I coded the list I got confused between CSS and the original style I had learned.

teehee. I need to learn more CSS it seems. Most of HTML is clicking right in too, I'm only doing it for about an hour or two out of a few random days. It's too easy! lol

Though, it seems very time consuming. I probably need to take a typing class so I can improve my speeds while not looking at the keys :P

-Skylark

Haha, no worries, well CSS is the way forward as it allows you to code multiple styles into 1 page and spread it across your whole site without having to code each style individually.

I would learn CSS2 to get the basics then move to CSS3 for the latest and more technical styling aspects.

How about looking up at this website -

http://www.w3schools.com

That is a great place to know and learn about HTML, CSS and many other website programming/coding tools. Though I would not say that it would make you an expert but yes, it covers all those subjects much better than most on the Internet and also they are now believed to be an authority when it comes to learning about Internet and Website Development... try having a look at that website and start with HTML and follow it up with CSS. Then the Janascript and once done with these, you can think about PHP or ASP.

Hey, thanks for the tip, I'll go check it out. :)

Let me just warn you... it is not that well organized - at least not in the way I would prefer it to be.... But that said, you already seem to have some knowledge and hence finding your way out might not be an issue :)

Let me just warn you... it is not that well organized - at least not in the way I would prefer it to be.... But that said, you already seem to have some knowledge and hence finding your way out might not be an issue :)

Or have a look at the tutorial i built a while back :)

http://blacknovadesigns.co.uk/forums/topic/151-how-to-be-a-webdesigner/

Yeah, the w3 collection is a bit odd to navigate, but just having the information readily available is a huge enlightenment.

Thank you, Raptor. I'll look into these tutorials for sure. I'm also going to start a basic all-around computer course at my community college next month. The purpose of this being: To figure out which realm of computers I'd like to go into. (It's so vast!) After that I should be going to an IT school or something. :D

Yeah, the w3 collection is a bit odd to navigate, but just having the information readily available is a huge enlightenment.

Thank you, Raptor. I'll look into these tutorials for sure. I'm also going to start a basic all-around computer course at my community college next month. The purpose of this being: To figure out which realm of computers I'd like to go into. (It's so vast!) After that I should be going to an IT school or something. :D

Yea glad to be of help, Hopefully your find what you want to do and if its something i can help with, just ask, ill give anything a go :)