Skylark-Torch

I'm new. Could I get 'learned?

Question

Yep. I'm a coding noob.

I'm very much into computers though, and I'd like to know what steps I can take to become at least familiar with coding.

If anyone would step-up to be my 'guide' to coding, I'm not asking you to all-out tutor me (Unless you're willing!)

I'd just like someone who already knows what he is doing to lead me to the proper ways to begin. If you wouldn't mind...?

I have notepad++ and some eagerness.

And I'm willing to accept some argument about which language I should step into first.

-Skylark

I couldn't really answer that, its mainly down to personal choice, i would say learn the basic structure of a website first, e.g. HTML, as then you can create a static shell, and atleast understand the markup of a website, then start to learn PHP and try to develop more Sever-Side functions, and learn how to be more dynamic.

But like i said its up to the learner themselves, alot of the time.

*Bump*

If that's okay, I just wanted to follow up and say that I really appreciate the BND forum's help getting my feet wet with markup almost three years ago. I've not pursued a career in programming but as you fellowes had mentioned HTML/CSS did indeed come in useful. I've used it to tailor my computing experience in some ways, to pursue hobbies with friends, and it's especially been trusty at work. Honestly I think it may be part of the reason why I'm about to start my first fulltime IT position. It's in one week! I feel like I owe you guys in part for your advice. Thank you.

Well done @Skylark-Torch, just keep venturing into the HTML/CSS side of the world, and master that to a nice level, then move on to learning a server-side script language, for example, PHP, and twin it with something like javascript/jQuery. Just make sure to master the fundamentals first then work on the next part, a bit like building a house. We wish you all the best in the future @Skylark-Torch! Congrats from us all in the BND Team.