Jake Horsfield

What's the first thing you do when creating a website?

I normally jot down on a piece of paper also, but normally I do a site page list first.

I try to imagine if a person came to the homepage first where would they go and where they would they leave the site and try and figure how to make them click more if needed or click out if its a affiliate link.

Then I would create all the blank pages needed first and make sure I have the site tree sorted then I will begin on the homepage design first then the rest of the other pages design.

Thats how I do it anyway :)

I have to agree with IronFace72, also welcome Ironface72 to the forums, the best peice to look at is the part that will pull your potential customers in, also i brainstorm the development of how the site will develop and how it will be built and what wireframe it will use.

For me, a little research on what are the possible pages that can go on the site are the first thing that I do. And during the search, I also start to get some ideas on what kind of images go on the home page to make it more glossy. Then I do the sketch and all this is sent to the client for the approval.

I look into seeing how hard it is to build content. After I get started there, I start doing a little advertising, and look into getting a custom design made. I think what your site's information is is a lot more important than how it looks. :)

Pandaa, you are correct, if your content is rubbish, your not going to attract more customers or even customers in the first place, but then also design goes hand-in-hand, if your design is "rubbish", people may look at you as a joke and not take you serious, or even worse turn your potential customers away.

So it swings both ways, got to just get it looks smooth enough and have very good content to be the best balance, as a very good looking website and rubbish content wont work.

Before create any web site first be what the web site about ! is there any one else currently have same forum/web site if so how big or good is it. Then will be domain good domain helps with any site really then will be design followed by content but alway have plan and stick to it.

Before I create my site, I check out the sites of my competitors and see how they have designed them and how they are monetizing it. I try to evaluate them as visitors in the niche would do and see if they have any shortcomings. Then I would research keywords and try to find a good number (usually 30-50) with decent search volume and low competition. Then I look for a suitable theme that would match the topic of my site. I usually select a theme that strikes a good balance between useful and commercial content. Since I use Wordpress or similar CMS for my sites, it is easy to find free themes but I don't mind paying for custom themes either.

I search for inspiration. There are a lot of different methods I use for it. But, knowing the theme of the site, I try to fill my mind with images related to it so I can get a sense for the colors that fit with the theme and try to get a sense for the "feel" of the theme. Is it dark and gritty or is it bright and colorful or is it some sort of degree of both?