SimplySidy

Would you Opt for a Web Host which Provides Backup Solutions at an Extra Cost?

Hi

I was just wondering that when it comes to a website host, who should be responsible for the Backups? Recently, my web space provider sent out an email to me stating that they would be doing some migration of webservers and as such the site might be offline for a while. Good, that they emailed me.

But what I did not appreciate on the email was the mention of - "Please take a backup of your website, your database and other files and information that you might have stored on our space. We are not responsible for your loss"! What the heck. I did not ask you to migrate your servers and so why are you asking me to take the backups - I already do that once per month and now why should I break my rule?

That said, I had to take a backup just because it is my website and I do care about it.

Many webhosts do provide a free backup facilty while a few do not. What about your web host provider? do they provide you this backup facility for free or they charge you an amount?

Well all our High-end premium guys get free Daily Backup and optional extra to everyone else. We don't store backups for non-paying or smaller profit backups, due to the amount of space it takes up and increases the overheads alot, but i believe a personal backup done by the user is not  a bad thing either, it can save alot of problems, and also having your own means you got piece of mind when things do go wrong, if you have your own copy.

Also with our cPanel you can create an easy backup of your site and is what i advise many of our clients to do everytime they do alot of work or big work to their sites, Also a good habit to take a full backup every week atleast and where possible setup a backup script to email your MySQL database everynight. We also provide links to them when people ask.

Or we charge £3 a month for daily backup if its not included with the hosting package they choose.

Also with transfer of websites or servers, we always do a full backup before a migration but advise people to do it aswell, incase our backup doesn't fully go to plan.

The webhost that I am using provides free backups at no extra cost. However I also 3rd party tools (Such as WP DB Backup for my Wordpress sites) just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't mind paying extra for secure backups provided it is not very expensive and my webhost guarantees that the backups would be done without fail. I have some bad experiences with backups in the past so I urge everyone to be proactive and take their backups on their own.

Ive learnt that myself aswell. All our backups that are paid, are all stored locally aswell on a secure system and network with encryption. We know how important backup is and always urge people to do their own backups aswell. Like I say is it really worth taking the risk of not doing a backup yourself for it to fail somewhere else, yes I know you should trust and believe in your backup provider bit then again they can't give you piece of mind, atleast whem you do it yourself as well you know you got an extra copy to fall back on and piece of mind. You can never have even copies of backup.