Sign in to follow this  
S.O. Price

inkscape & SVG

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I was going through the SVG tutorial at W3Schools and they said that inkscape was the designer of choice for SVG. So I went to the inkscape.org site to download their software. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I am concerned about downloading their software because their site says it is a win32.exe.

I found another site http://www.x64bitdownload.com/downloads/t-64-bit-inkscape-download-ltzcifii.html that supposedly has a Windows 64-bit version of Inkscape but I am hesitate to download it because I am not familiar with this website and I REALLY hate to download software from an unfamiliar site.

So, does anyone know where I can get a 64-bit version of Inkscape or do you know of some FREE SVG design software that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

The 32bit installer should still work but it wont utilize full potential of the 64bit version of Windows, but still will be stable and a full workable solution.

I will look around the web for you shortly and ill keep you up to date with any items i find, on any infomation on the 64bit version.

The 32bit installer should still work but it wont utilize full potential of the 64bit version of Windows, but still will be stable and a full workable solution.

I will look around the web for you shortly and ill keep you up to date with any items i find, on any infomation on the 64bit version.

Thanks! Sounds wonderful. :)

x64 bit is a rare sight if it exists, but i know the 32bit works perfectly on 64bit systems.

I know it works fine, but it's really dissapointing to have a great-computer that can only use one of its CPU cores for this big laggy program...

I had never heard of this program before, and I'm pretty surprised they offer it for free. This sounds like it would be a nice counterpart to Gimp, another free image editing tool (for raster images). Also, did you know that you can get the full versions of Adobe applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator for dirt cheap if you happen to be a college student or know someone who is? You can pick them up at the university book stores, you just need to have a college ID, and I believe its only one per student.

Also, did you know that you can get the full versions of Adobe applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator for dirt cheap if you happen to be a college student or know someone who is? You can pick them up at the university book stores, you just need to have a college ID, and I believe its only one per student.

That's awesome!! My step-sister is going to college at the moment, actually, maybe I can leech adobe off of her; she wouldn't be using it :P

I have a friend who does pony vector art in Deviantart using inkscape. He says there is a way around the 32x nature of Inkscape:

"(saying this off ther top of my head) File > Inkscape Preferences > Filter > Number of threads to use for rendering gaussian blur"

-90Sigma

Changing that number to the number of cores you have is the effective way to increase performance of things such as filters or exports, according to his words.

-Skylark