bauss

Website Builders

Do you use any website builders when you create websites? I don't use any website builders, but when I first starting getting into web design I used freewebs which for hosting which had a built in website builder to make it easier for noobs.

I created my first website on freewebs over 10years ago, and i tell you know, i would never go back lol, its a good easy way to cheat on how to make a website, but if your serious about it best way to create is notepad ++, I have seen alot of people still using moonfruit as well. Also Hosting pacakge are now containing Sitebuilders as well. One thing we are currently looking into buying for our hosting Servers.

Dreamweaver is pretty much the king of the hill for web development. But if you aren't terribly familiar with HTML or CSS (or PHP), another option would be to install Wordpress, then install one of the many Wordpress frameworks such as Gantry or Headspace. These allow you to customize the look and feel of the layout right within the Wordpress control panel. Also, I believe Coffecup Software offers a free web design application.

Dreamweaver can also be the devil at the same time, cause many people get use to the preview layout and not reading the code, causing people to miss incorrect code, or to diagnose correctly.

Dont get me wrong i use it, buts its learning not to get to laid back.

Yeah Dreamweaver for me although I prefer the older Macromedia versions before they where took over by adobe. Loved using Macromedia Dreamweaver and Fireworks as my graphics editor. Although notepad/notepad++ is a must too when checking and altering code quickly.

Tried my hand with Microsoft Frontpage once, even did a course on using it but have to say it was one of the worst things I have ever used.

Dreamweaver for the most part puts out pretty clean code, though it's sometimes possible for it to accidentally insert a div inside another or wrap it around another when you weren't expecting it to - breaking the layout and creating confusion. I usually work in live mode, and hope over to code view just to double check from time to time. I love the breadcrumbs of tags it shows at the bottom of the window while you're working.

Guest iemp

And what about Net Object Fusion software, do any of you guys know it? As I remember correctly it was pretty good WYSIWYG editor for creating static websites. However I think much faster way is creating or editing html/css template.

I prefer to use Notepad or Notepad++ since it is easier to write clean and efficient code by using them. Having said that, I have used Dreamweaver and FrontPage in the past and loved the convenience that came with them. The only thing that I disliked about these 2 tools was that they added some extra code so debugging and maintenance used to take longer than usual.

When I was learning the website development way back in 2005-6, I did try a few of the webste builders but wasnt satisfied with the way they did the things. Those days, as jquery and drag and drop were not known, most of the designs were static and fixed. I havent tired anything with them of late and I do hope that they would have developed going by the fact that jQuery has made things simpler, much simpler, and the drag and drop are more feasible today than they were during the 2005-6. At least this drag and drop will help me have a layout that I prefer.

Webly, or webs.com or even forumation are the best by far, even though they are free and if you do pay, its pretty cheap. They still offer really good website building services. People can make some really good looking sites using them, just well obviously the domain would look awfull.

Real developers code by hand :)

I started out using notepad back in the late 90's and moved up to Textpad and now I'm using Notepad++

I see website builders as a tool for folks who lack knowledge who need something temporary. Dreamweaver-type programs are great for people who focus on graphic design, but that code should always be run by someone who has a full knowledge of HTML. 

Yep agreed, dreamweaver is a quick developers tool, I use it to do a rough copy and then proof read it afterwards, also we now provide Breezi Sitebuilder with our Hosting packages now, so for people with less knowledge in development, have the ability to use our servers.

IF anyone has already got hosting with us, they can now view Breezi in their cPanel, if anyone is interested.